Friday 29 July 2016

It's A Deal


Earlier this week I was in the company of drummers. I'm seldom happier than when I'm in the company of drummers, the feeling of fraternal shared experience is very strong and really quite unique.

A couple of conversations particularly stuck with me. Several glasses were enjoyed in the company of one of the UK's justifiably most in demand freelance drummers. I commented that it must be a pleasant departure to talk to another drummer without the inevitable 'hustle' coming into the equation. My friend said that he is besieged by approaches from drummers looking for deps, gig recommendations etc multiple times every day. Personally I rarely dep gigs out unless I can absolutely avoid it. I choose the work I want to do where assignments tick a minimum number of specific boxes, and having made the commitment I stick by it. More than once in my years as a bandleader I have had been on the receiving end of feeble excuses because someone got offered a gig that paid a tenner more.

The grand prize goes to the musician who told me he had to stay at home because he was having a new kitchen fitted.

On a Sunday.

Also it's worth bearing this in mind; when someone books a specific musician to do a specific gig it's because they want 'that guy', and if 'that guy' is not available they will call 'that other guy' who is next on their list. Rarely if ever will they ask 'that guy' for a recommendation so remember this and don't be a nuisance.

If you play well enough people cannot possibly ignore you.
Things have rarely if ever happened over night and in the modern, congested industry things take longer than ever to move forward.

Take care of things musically and personally, handle your public profile appropriately and before you know it you will be getting the calls because you are 'that guy', after all the years of being 'some guy', which is how it starts for everybody.

OK, now it's time to own up.
How many young (and not so young) players reading this have a drum endorsement and a feature in a magazine at or near the top of their wish list?

A little recognition can go a long way and very often compensates for the years of effort and sacrifice, especially if as a wide eyed youngster you were drawn to a genre of music which is notoriously poorly paid, (yes, me!)

However, another word to the wise if I may.
Also this week it was a pleasure to spend time in the company of a British drum industry legend. An artist relations guy who is the best in the business and justifiably universally admired and respected.
He spends half his working life having to read emails that begin thus;

"My band is about to get signed".
"I am a 15 year old session drummer".

Similar advice holds good yet again. Instrument manufacturers and distributors have to make tiny budgets go a very long way and your introductory email is little more than a nuisance. If you are going to be of interest to the companies then you are already on their radar whether you realise it or not, and if they haven't noticed you yet keep doing the right thing until they do, because if you do it well enough for long enough they surely will. And when they notice you and you get to where you want to be, don't forget to keep taking care of business. It's a small industry and news travels fast, but bad news is at its destination before good news has got its shoes on.

Just like with getting gigs, go out there and network, get your videos uploaded, buy a ticket to the key drum events, get yourself down there and above all...........

Be nice.

Do that for long enough and to paraphrase the old saying, you'll be important too.

For more information about clinics, masterclasses, personal tuition, guest appearances or any of my bands click here

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Pete. From my limited experience, I would add, turn up early with all your stuff, ready to go, take the time to learn the names of the people you are working with, listen to what they require from you, and treat the music and the band with respect.

    ReplyDelete