Wednesday 18 January 2017

Fifty Years In The Making

"Isn't it time you produced an instructional DVD." I was asked a few weeks ago.

Yes. It is.
Simple as that.

Having been playing more than fifty years and teaching for more than thirty of them I have amassed what I consider a reasonable amount of knowledge. Having grown up in the perfect environment to teach myself and constantly reevaluate what I was doing I have become fixated with looking at the instrument from as many perspectives as possible.

Now I'm going to  share it with you.

The list of names who have inspired me to develop as a musician runs in to many many hundreds, and by taking their playing apart I have developed a personalised arsenal of approaches to hand technique and making music on the drum set.

I'm not going to hold anything back. Knowledge is for sharing and I intend to share everything I know. Some of the ideas may work for you, maybe others possibly not, but that's the way it is. No single individual has all the answers but I guarantee some fresh ideas you will not have seen or heard before.

Here's a clip from my 2015 series for Rhythm magazine.......



This is not an exercise in personal career advancement as some projects can be. I'm totally happy with my international  percussion celebrity status as it currently stands.

As is now the custom and precedent I shall be going down the crowdfunding route.

The first step will be to produce the educational content consisting of two major sections, hand techniques and drum set concepts.

Should the funding goal be successfully met and surpassed we will stretch fund towards live performance footage featuring the Pete Cater Big Band. Plans are also in place for a drums off play along audio resource featuring some legendary big band repertoire.

The level of donation will range from pre-ordering the first volume of the DVD (unlimited numbers) to one executive producer opportunity, your name over the title ('Joe Bloggs presents Pete Cater etc etc etc').

Along the way we plan to offer limited edition books, exclusive unreleased bonus footage, one to one lessons, masterclasses and even a private performance by either the big band or my 7 piece, The Ministry of Jazz. You can play drums if you like. I don't mind.

Incidentally don't be expecting similarly initiatives from on a regular basis. It is my intention to do this once and once only, so I need to get it right!

The funding incentive is now live and the link is here......

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pete-cater-drum-instruction-dvd-music-jazz/x/15946557#/

Thank you for your support.


5 comments: