Friday 13 October 2017

Reciprocal Motivation


Sometimes these blogs posts deal with highly specific topics relating to drums and the music industry. Sometimes the posts have a much broader implication and serve as metaphors for the wider a world and  the essence of human nature itself. This is such an instance.

Yesterday (October 12th 2017) was a busy and often frustrating day. Several times during the day I was beset by unnecessary triviality which need not have even occurred if other people were on top of their designated tasks. Incompetence in other words. An upcoming industry event in which I was scheduled to participate got cancelled and a first year student described me as 'old'. So really very much a 'why do I bother' sort of a day. I get about four or five of them a year so on the balance of probabilities I'm free and clear until just after Christmas.

Then I looked in my phone and found a messenger request from someone not in my social network.

This is 'why I bother'.

 Hi Pete. I'm a young drummer from Dublin. Sorry to be spamming your personal page but I couldn't find a way to direct message your music one. I felt the urgent need to drop you a line and thank youfor all the invaluable resource material and wisdom you have made publicly available online. I know by the depth of your knowledge and sincerity of your delivery that you haven't come by any of these lessons cheaply. Thank you for sharing the fruits of a lifetime investment of time without any promise of a return. Your stories and guidance, not to mention the success of your big band, are of huge benefit and a source of inspiration to a young player like myself, unsure of how to go about moulding or shaping a brand or identity as a musician. Not to mention whether or not the risk of typecasting oneself into a particular style or scenario is even a good idea in a market as small as Dublin! If you made it this far then thanks again. Can't wait to get my hands on the DVD! All the best, Ben Cooper
 
So Ben got some inspiration and motivation from some of my music, and in sending his message inspired and motivated me right back.
 
It's a good strategy. Give it a try.

 

 













 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment