Thursday 16 June 2016

Making Your Mind Up


There are few things I dislike more than being told what to do.

I didn't like it when I was a child, I didn't like it when I was an adolescent, and I don't like it now.

If for no other reason than that you will surely understand how pleased I will be when Friday June 24th rolls around. In 1981 Bucks Fizz instructed us that the time would come for making your mind up and that can't happen soon enough.

Irrespective of which side of the argument you favour (and my point of view is nobody's business but my own) I shall breathe a massive sigh of relief when the politicians, pundits and commentators draw a line under the whole damn thing and move on to the next hot topic.

Even more than that I shall be pleased when social media gets back to selfies, your dinner, cats and event invites.

Honestly, the moral superiority, the hubris of supremacy of one's opinion, the temerity to instruct one's acquaintances which way they should vote is staggering if at the same time disappointingly predictable.

And then there are the lists of names. Names for, names against. I even saw one list containing two former IRA terrorists being offered up as a 'positive'. Try squaring that away with anyone who grew up in Birmingham in the 1970's.

What do your opinions have in common with your vintage snare drum, your old K thin ride cymbal, your vintage watch and your classic car?

Simply this.
They're worth a little bit less than you think.
In spite of being very precious to you maybe you ought to just hold on to them instead.

Whenever I make any kind of major decision (and I'm in the throes of one at the moment) I'll start with a blank piece of paper and try to pull together all the salient facts. That's facts, not vested interests disguised as facts, which can take a bit of filtering.
The pros and cons.
Once I feel I have the information I need the decision gets made.

This is exactly what I shall do a week from today.

Vote wisely and with consideration and may you get the outcome you wish for.

But most importantly of all, vote.
Whichever way you prefer. It's your prerogative and your democratic privilege to decide for yourself.

For more information about clinics, masterclasses, personal tuition, guest appearances or any of my bands click here.



No comments:

Post a Comment